[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformers

----------
From:  Adam Parker [SMTP:park_e_r-at-hiwaay-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, June 15, 1998 1:48 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: transformers

If i remember correctly Rob, the ballast transformers are only used as a
way to ignite the tubes when there are turned on. The ballast first raises
the amperage I believe and then lowers is condiderably (causing that
annoying flickering). Thats why it takes more power to turn them off and on
than to leave them running. I have no idea what the constant "running"
voltage is for a flourescent tube however i don't think they would serve
well in tesla use. I've often thought about these myself, (possibly as
current limiters, etc.) I would definately get a secind opinion as my
knowledge in ballast types is limited.

While on the subject of ballasts....

I run my shoplight off of a power strip. (the kind with the neon light
indicater)
when time to shut down I simply unplug the power strip and leave the light
plug where it is. About a month ago I noticed that after I unpluged the
cord the neon light stayed on then dimmed out within about two-three
seconds. Later I tested the recently unpluged light and discovered the
light kept a charge of 65 volts!
Do ballasts normally do that? Was anyone else out there observed a similiar
capacitance  in there lights?