[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Finishing First Coil

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 03, 1998 11:10 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Finishing First Coil

<<
 The closer I get to finishing the longer it takes <g>.

 A couple of Q's:

 1.  How closely must the chokes match?  I've built two, one is 3.81mH and
 the other is 2.38mH.  Is 2.38mH enough with a one or two NSTs (15kV,
 30-60ma) so that I can simply derate the larger choke?

 Chokes are 22g on huge Flyback ferrites (mismatched ferrites resulted in the
 differing values).

 2.  I need to verify grounding data.  Just what gets hooked to signal ground
 and what needs a separate ground.

     a.  NST has two input leads, two output leads.  I currently have built
 the safety gap as two gaps between NST out leads and NST case.  Schematics
 I've viewed indicate case should be connected to signal ground?

     b.  What about NST input ground lead?  (Actually I guess the question
 is: Should the ground lead on the NST input line be connected to the case (I
 don't think so), to signal ground (I don't think so), a separate ground
 (seems plausible) or don't connect it at all (seems strange to me but...).

     c.  What ground should strike rail connect to?

 3.  I see ton's of pix with coils running in garages.  I can't imagine
 firing mine off in the garage (or in a kitchen as I've also seen).  I have a
 rather crowded bench with electronic gear etc, flammables (paint, etc) and
 other misc.  How far does the coil need to be from such gear? From a parked
 car?

 Should just be a matter of a day or two now (but I've been saying that for a
 week <g>).

 Thanks,

 dj

dj,

On my 3.0" coil, I use the main RF ground to ground the bottom of the
secondary, case of the neon sign transformers, strike rail and the center
contact of the safety gap.

On my 6.0" coil, the main RF ground goes only to the bottom of the secondary
and the strike rail.  I have another ground rod system that connects to the
spark gap center terminal, pole transformer case and other 60 cycle grounds.

Ed Sonderman