[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pushing Neons: Extra Current (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:01:11 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pushing Neons: Extra Current

Terry, Marco,
The reason there is more current being consumed when the gaps do not
fire is that the transformer has charged the capacitor UP to say
some large *positive* voltage, and now, before it can can charge it
to some *negative* voltage it has to first get it discharged
to a zero level. Normally the gaps firing and dumping energy
into the primary takes care of this. But when the gaps do not
fire, the transformer bravely tries to reverse the polarity anyhow.

Obviously while the transformer is trying to discharge the cap
it just charged, it is doing MORE work than it did simply
charging it. If the cap is just the right size you can also get
a resonant charging affect that can cause the output voltage to
rise significantly. This can over-stress the transformer and caps,
and is often the cause of failure in Tesla Coil systems.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee