[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

new 6" coil & problems (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:56:20 PDT
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: new 6" coil & problems

List,

  Some of you may have seen my pics of my new coil on Chip's Webpage. I
meant to through the specs out on the list but I have procrastinated. I
have been having some problems with it and was hoping someone might shed
some light on the problem. So I'll put some specs and the questions all
in this message.
  Specs:  Secondary:
-6" PVC, 24" winding length, #28 AWG mag wire close wound, polyurethane,
homebrew toroid: 8"x21" stovepipe toroid with two 4" diameter aluminum
drier ducting toroids wrapped around the stovepipe
          Primary:
-14,400 instrument transformer, safety gap, .04uF cap, flat primary
tapped at 16 turns (#8 THHN closewound), RSG, 45A powerstat variac.

Maximum spark length has been about 62"

Well, I guess I am finally into the 5' club!

Here is the problem. When I start cranking the power up with the variac
it maxs out at about half way. Any higher and performance diminishes.
Could this be due to not enough quenching in the RSG?

Tristan Stewart