[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 06:07:34 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  Bart, All -

  I guess the botton line is "Do you believe that a TC with properly
designed pri/sec clearance to prevent sparkovers between the coils will or
will not give longer output sparks than the "raising the secondary" TC ? All
other parameters unchanged.

  Some comments on your post -

  1. "Undercoupled - there is less energy transferred". This is contrary to
theory. However, coupling and tuning may be inseparable and tuning affects
energy transfer. (I'm giving in to my critics).

  2. Undercoupled (too far away) not enough current, etc. - There is no
current to transfer energy from the pri to sec coil, only magnetic flux.
There is never any loss of magnetic flux when transferring energy between
the coils. Why?

  3. Favorably coupled - what is the relationship between coupled, current,
and quenching? Equations?

  4. K beyond our reach -Quenching is not energy transfer. Quenching is
turning off the operating spark, preferably at the right time.

  5. I agree there are no programs that take into account sparkgap
quenching. But I don't agree that coupling is a hit or miss condition.
Otherwise those "raising the secondary" precise adjustments that coilers are
talking about are not precise. Proper coupling to prevent sparkovers can be
determined by following what coilers have done in the past.

  6.  Spice is a program that uses theoretical electronic equations. If it
was "to shape the em field" without empirical data it would not conform to
real world coils. Like trying to find the true capacitance of a toroid on a TC.

   John couture

At 01:50 PM 7/18/98 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
Remember, it
>is a magnetic field we are coupling, and magnetic fields move in "size and
density"
>*with and by* the AC component (em field).
>
>An em field produced in the primary will have a varying size , position, and
>density. Current determines these parameters of the em field once the
primary and
>secondary are in place, and quenching determines the amount of current
transferred
>per time.
>
>By *theory*, if we are "over-coupled" (too close, too much current, large
em field),
>the em field flux lines of force "does not" engage optimally and there is less
>energy transfered than what could be. If we are "under-coupled" (too far
away, not
>enough current, small em field), the em field flux lines of force "does
not" engage
>optimally and again there is less energy transfered than what could be.
>
>With TC's, I theorize that regardless of under of over coupled conditions,
distance
>of Pri to Sec arcing is set to prevent a *voltage* determined occurance.
This does
>not mean we are favorably coupled. It only means the Pri is far enough away
from the
>Sec to prevent arcing based on *current* and *quenching* conditions.
Raising and