[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 19:22:13 -0700
From: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Delta Fo (was How to raise secondary) (fwd)

Gary Lau wrote:

> While I was ready to embrace the theory that the attached streamers were
> responsible for adding to Ctop, the point raised that the streamers only
> occur _after_ ringup pretty much discredited that in my mind.
>
> Instead, what ever became of the theory that, in operation, an ion cloud
> with a persistence greater than the bang interval, exists about the top
> terminal, effectively increasing it's size and capacitance?  Seems to fit.

It is easy to observe in the operation of most coils that streamers remain
at almost the same places for long periods. There are certainly ionized
channels attached to the terminal. Do the measurements show that the primary
gap quench occur really before the initial conduction from the terminal to the
streamers? More reasonable would be a lower breakdown voltage for reignition
of attached streamers, and streamers draining current as soon as the secondary
voltage reaches this value, what can happen well before the opening of the
primary gap.
An ion cloud is also something that can add to the secondary capacitance.
I believe that both effects are present.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz