[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dogmatism, 'authority questioning,' and science. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:34:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: Larry Bud Melman <gasman-at-althea.a-line-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Dogmatism, 'authority questioning,' and science.

	Malcolm, all:

	I reiterate what Bart said, only even more vigorously.  I read Michael's
original post with intense amusement, as I had been thinking something along
those lines for a bit now, only didn't bother to post about it.

	As I've said before, I'm no physicist or electronics wizard - but I
am a scientist by trade and training.  Science has dogmas which, sometimes, are
useful for a time until the 'surrounding knowlege base' makes it clear that
the dogmas may be flawed.  However, once they're accepted as useful, sometimes
it's not exactly *clear* how long, or how tenaciously, they should be held
on to.

	In order for science to advance in a way that is positive and true,
it takes both kinds of us: those who tend toward dogmatism and those who
have a low threshold to 'question authority,' if you will, or to espouse the
potential for modifying existing convention and traditional wisdom.

	Science could not be, without both kinds of scientist.  The existence
of both kinds necessitates the careful verbalization and rationalization of
each viewpoint - forcing each other to listen carefully to each other's
reasoning, and defend their own viewpoint if they think they should, or
even consider that the other is right...  :-)

	I am certain that Michael meant no offense to either Malcolm or
John, or anyone else.  As to myself, I'm very glad to have everyone's
posts here.  Although I really only understand probably about half of what
I read here, I just read, and post sometimes, and lurk a lot, and learn very,
very much.  And, the price is right.

	Safe coiling and happy science to all.

						Clay Wilson