[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Kewl toroid!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 19:05:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Larry Bud Melman <gasman-at-althea.a-line-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Kewl toroid!!

> So I needed some larger PVC elbows.  Eventually was referred to the same
> place I bought the acrylic for the primary base.  Start explaining to the
> man why I need the elbows minus flanges & he replies - "why don't you just
> buy a mild steel donut".
>
> Now ....... let me tell you, I had phoned every metal fabricator in the
> phone-book with zero success (unless I wanted to pay several thousand
> dollars !!!).  This left me speechless ;-)
>
> These things come "off the shelf".  Only work required is to remove the
> outer seam weld & weld in a center plate.  Total cost $90 AUS (around $50
> US).  Only complaint is this is the largest they have (18" outer diameter /
> 6" torus).  Slightly less than what I would like.
>
> So the real question you should ask is ..... "who made it & what was the
> original purpose ?"
>
> Made by metal pipe suplier for custom vehicle exhaust manufacture.  Because
> they don't know what degree bend will be required, they sell 360 degree
> pipes!!!!!

	Mark:

	Although it *is* a bit small for my app, I'd like to perhaps buy
a few of them anyway.  They're outstanding, cheap toroids.....

	Where exactly might I find this??  I realize you're in Australia,
but I'll bet even with shipping, they're a helluva lot cheaper than
"real spun toroids."

	I guess they're completely sealed at purchase, then??  I'll bet my
upcoming coil would be awesome with three or four of those on top, and
would look cool, too.

					Clay