[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source of NSTs and bombarders (fwd) A bombarder is... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:57:58 -0700
From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Source of NSTs and bombarders (fwd) A bombarder is... (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
A cold cathode transformer is used to drive a "cold cathode tube", of
course, which is another name for a fluorescent lamp. There are two
general flavors of fluorescent lamps: hot cathode and cold cathode, and
sort of a cross between the two. A ccft uses a HV spike to ionize the
gas inside the tube, which then emits UV which makes the coating glow. A
hot cathode tube heats up a couple of filaments first, then strikes the
discharge, then, usually, turns off the filaments. Probably the most
common application of small CCFTs and HCFTs is in backlights for LCD
panels.  However, they are also made (by neon sign shops for instance)
for applications much like neon signs. I had a couple of CCFT halos (as
for an angel) made once. The advantage is that you can put a whole
variety of phosphors in the tube to get different colors or get a nice
white (try and get white, with neon) (or paint the outside of a white
tube), and they run at lower voltages, generally (less than 100 volts
for my halos, once the discharge was started). The CCFT backlights run
at even lower voltages (tens of volts).

What you can't do with a CCFT is make a long tube (many feet), whereas
with neon you can.