[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source of NSTs and bombarders (fwd) A bombarder is... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:08:37 -0700
From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Source of NSTs and bombarders (fwd) A bombarder is...

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

A bombarder is essentially a very high power NST. They use them when
making a neon sign to run a lot of power through the tube to heat it up
so that it does all of its outgassing. Typical specs are 15 kVA or 25
kVA, almost always 240VAC input. They are basically a "big" transformer
(an amp at 15 kV) with a variable inductor in the primary to limit the
current. Sort of like a tesla coil primary supply....

They are described in various catalogs catering to the neon and sign
trade.

You might want to take a look at the following link:
http://www.neonshop-dot-com/neonweb/nn/choke.html

where someone made a bombarder from a surplus potential transformer and
an arc welder. Sound familiar????