[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measurements using field probe (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 03:03:20 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Measurements using field probe

  DR RESONANCE -

  If I understand your question correctly, I would say the AC peak potential
would be 1.4 times the VDGRF potential which is DC. The DC potential would
be equal to the RMS value of the AC potential.

  It is my understanding that the field mill voltmeter measures the electric
field intensity instead of the potential around a charged object. The field
mill voltlmeter requires an antenna and ground that would measure the
electromagnetic field similar to a radio field strength meter. The field
intensity varies as the square of the distance compared to the potential
method that varies directly as the distance.

  I have never built or used a field mill voltmeter so have limited
knowledge of their operation. I would think this would be a method to
measure the TC secondary voltage in a roundabout way. The field mill
voltmeter is used to measure the voltage of a lightning strike and could be
used to measure the TC secondary terminal voltage. However, the
instrumentation and calculations would be more complex compared to finding
the VDG generator voltage. How did you convert the intensity data to a
voltage at the TC?

  The voltage indicated by   sqrt(Ls/Lp)  requires additional factors that
are not easy to find. I have not had much success in using this relationship
in a program. The TC sec voltage depends on other factors such as input
watts, etc.

  I believe that determining the voltage on the TC secondary is possible but
is going to take a lot of research. The  research that you, Terry Fritz, and
others have done  has apparently made much progress.

  John Couture