[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

What next for longer sparks?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, July 02, 1998 11:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: What next for longer sparks?

to: Marco

The main limiting factor here Marco is the diameter of your secondary coil.
 If you step you to a 6 or 8 inch dia secondary coil your spark length at
this power level with this cap should increase to at least 48 inches.  We
run a 20 inch dia. coilform running the same .05 MFD cap at 500-600 ma
drive current and it delivers a 9 ft. long spark.  Two important factors to
consider for any design are:

1) Make the secondary inductor as large as practical for your intended use.

2) Tesla coils love current.  9-15 kV drive is all that is required but
most systems see substantial improvement by increasing available current
from the power xmfr.

Your system has plenty of current -- now you need to run a much larger dia
sec coil with this power level.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net