[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Thursday, February 26, 1998 1:58 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: NST Max Ratings and Mains Resonance (fwd)

HI Alfred,
           I meant to reply to this several days ago and left it
sitting forgotten in my "unread" folder :(

It is all very well to say that the reactances cancel out but they
*are* individual components and it is across those individual
components that you get that voltage rise (the voltages being out of
phase with one another). The ratio of an individual reactance to the
circuit resistance determines how high that voltage gets in
conjunction with circuit current which as you rightly point out, is
governed by circuit resistance. The voltage across and individual
component = I.X, not I.R.  Circuit I = Vsource/R. I think the
difficulty is that we are not dealing with a voltage source (the NST
is current limited). With each half cycle, the circuit rings up as its
circulating current increases. I have measured Rwindings on a 12kV
60mA transformer as being around 5kOhms (I can't remember whether
that was per side - let's say it was). Then 12000V/10000Ohms =
1.2Amps!! (RMS to boot).  There is the current increase.
      I hope that clarifies the issue. There is no doubt whatsoever
that the circuit rings up to a value permitted by its Q (or spark gap
setting). I have measured it doing this. I would not like to claim
however that a shunted transformer can deliver an instantaneous
current in excess of its short circuited value. I have not measured
this.

Malcolm