[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Spark Gap design . . . (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:30:59 -0800
From: Joshua Resnick <seraphim-at-WPI.EDU>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: New Spark Gap design . . .

List,

     My new coil has what I believe is new type of spark gap.  I have
not seen anything like it yet.  I just finished building it and my coil
is not yet done so I haven't tested the concept.  The gap is set up like
this:

A 17" long piece of 4" PVC with 3"long Plexiglas boxes mounted on each
end with the tube protruding through the boxes.
Each box and tube has four holes drilled from top to bottom, through the
tube.
In each hole is an adjustable threaded rod.
Inside the tube, in the center, are four 1/4" epoxy coated plywood
strips lying next to each other suspended lengthwise by the threaded
rots at each end.
Around each plywood strip are two pieces of copper tube separated by a
1.8" distance in the center.
With all adjustments set to neutral, the pipes touch each other.
Turning the threaded rods raises and lowers the pipes creating a cap.
Not to scale, plywood not shown. * = spark ///// = connector

    ------------------       -----------------------
                   /////////////
    --------*---------       -----------*-----------
    --------*---------       -----------*-----------

    --------*---------       -----------*-----------
    --------*---------       -----------*-----------

    --------*---------       -----------*-----------
    --------*---------       -----------*-----------
LC~///                                          /////// ~ LC

Thats the general idea, I know that pictures are worth a thousand words
but tell me what you think. If any of you have tried this I would love
to hear from you.
          ____
      /\/\ ((____)) /\/\/\/\                Joshua Resnick
     /       |  |    \       \       http://www.glubco-dot-com/weaponry