[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design .

John H. Couture wrote:

>   This is the first time I have heard that the Van deGraaf motor slows down
> because of the upper electrode voltage. I thought the transfer of charges
> from the belt to the inside of the sphere was because the potential on the
> inside of the sphere was less than on the belt.

True, but there is strong repulsion between the up-going charged belt
and
the terminal while the belt is still not inside the terminal, and
attraction
between the terminal and the down-going belt (uncharged or oppositely
charged,
if there is a current doubler inside the terminal).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz