[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Big Coils (was DOLLINGER)

I have been reading dolnger1.jpg through dolnger8.jpg and I must say it is
a remarkable piece of infomation! Very useful! I suggest it to everybody.

I also made a Matlab program based on the equation presented in those
papers and I experimented with different values of k and L1, L2.

According to the equation, top voltage rise at the secondary depends mainly
on the square root of the secondary/primary inductance ratio (accordingly
to the formula usually reported by other textbooks). That would give a
LOWER secondary voltage using big coils (e.g. the new one I am designing)
compared with small coils (e.g. my old one).

We all know this doesn't hold, but I don't believe that it can be all
explained saying that you have lower losses with big coils...

So how it can be explained that (physically) bigger coils provide higher
secondary voltages, although they have a lower secondary/primary inductance
ratio?

And more:

using the paper's data, the top voltage rise at the secondary should have
been about 130 times the primary voltage. Still those guys used 50V at the
primary, measured about 2 kV at the secondary (factor is 40:1) and
concluded that the computer simulation gave the same results (!).
How's that?