[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electroplating

----------
From:  Dale McLane [SMTP:dale.mclane.junk-dot-network-at-wcnet-dot-org]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 4:16 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Electroplating

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Hi:

I've been off the list for a while, but now have a computer at home, so
I won't get in trouble for using the one on my desk at work.  Too much
temptation....Anyways, I'm a geologist/geochemist and somewhat of a mad
scientist myself, so I may be able to offer you some advice.

It is not necessary to copper plate first. There are some formulas for
silvering glass surfaces and other non-conducting objects directly using
silver nitrate, clear household ammonia, and either cane sugar or honey
as a reductant.  The only major precaution is that the ammoniacal silver
solutions must be disposed of after using, because they can form
explosive residues.  Which may or may not not be a bad thing depending
on your point of view, and level of amusement.

These formulas can be found in a wonderfully useful compendium known as
"The Chemical Formulary" Volume 9, page 228-229, and in some of the
other early volumes in this series.  Reprints of these volumes are all
still available from The Chemical Publishing Company, although the
senior editor, Mr. Bennett, has passed away.  Many college and technical
libraries have copies.  This series of books dates from the early
1930's, and the first ten volumes up to the 1957 edition are the most
useful.  Later editions rely on trade or proprietary compounds
extensively, and are not as well suited to the do-it-your-selfer.  If
you can't find them in a library easily, I have copies of the first ten
volumes.  You will need to buy silver nitrate crystals.  Don't buy them
from Fisher, they are high priced.  You want the less expensive
technical grade, not the reagent grade that Fisher sells.  Check out
"The Alchemist's Den" at

                 http://www.ualberta.ca/~psgarbi/psgarbi.html

If you would like more information, contact me directly at:

dale.mclane.junk-dot-network-at-wcnet-dot-org