[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electroplating

----------
From:  RODERICK MAXWELL [SMTP:tank-at-magnolia-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 9:26 AM
To:  tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com; tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Electroplating

I want to try to build a torus by using wood turned on a lathe, or on
a homemade spindle. After the torus is shaped, sanded, and coated with
varnish I wish to use a method to electroplate the torus mentioned in a
book by Walt Noon "Secrets of Building Lighting Bolt Generators. With
this process you can coat nonconductive objects with copperplate. One of
the chemicals mentioed is Silver Nitrate.
  If there is anyone on the list that has a chemistry background I would
like to know what concentration of silver nitrate you would need for
this process. There are many different concentrations listed at Fisher
Scientifics website.

(FSC242C) Silver, Reference Standard Solution 1000ppm  ±1%#37;
     (FSC242C) Silver Chloride Granular
     (FSC242C) Silver Nitrate Crystalline
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate Crystalline
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 10% w/v w/v
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate Solution 1N
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.5N
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.171N (1mL = 10mg NaCl)
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.141N (1mL = 5mg Cl)
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate Solution 0.1N (N/10)
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.05N
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.0282N (1mL = 1mg Cl)
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.025N
     (FSC243C) Silver Nitrate, 0.0192N (1mL = 2mg CN) For Cyanide
     (FSC244C) Silver Nitrate Solution 1mL =1mg NaCl
     (FSC244C) Silver Nitrate, 0.0171N (1mL  = 1mg NaCl)
     (FSC244C) Silver Nitrate Solution 1mL =0.5mg Cl
     (FSC244C) Silver Nitrate, 0.0141N For Chloride (1mL  = 0.5mg Cl)
     (FSC244C) Silver Nitrate Concentrate

         http://www.fisher1-dot-com/

  The reason I want to try this method is I like the finish of a
comercial toroid, but they are horrendously expensive!

                             Frankensteins Helper
                                    Max