[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modulated Spark Gap.

----------
From:  Robert W. Stephens [SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 2:21 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Modulated Spark Gap.

> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > ----------

Marcus, All,

I began to explore such a scheme about 2 years ago employing a 15
inch loudspeaker as a moveable piston which opened and closed the
spacing in a series gap employed with a conventional rotary break. My
desire was to modulate the streamer display in AM with recognizeable
human speech. By varying the holdoff voltage value of the gap system
in this fashion, amplitude modulation could be impressed as a varying
tank capacitor charge value before each break commutation.  I was in no way
after or expecting quality sound.

According to Nyquist's theorem you can reproduce a signal like in the
is case human speech by sampling at a minimum of 2X the highest
frequency to be reproduced.  There is a strong peak in human speech
energy at around 500 Hz.  Therefore a rotary break with a break speed
exceeding 1000 PPS should do the trick.  This technique is relatively
easy to accomplish with a small tabletop TC and gets more difficult
and expensive for a large machine.  Operating a coil on DC BTW yields
far superior audible results.

Very crisp, clear hi-fi audio with a crackling hiss along for the
ride may be obtained by modulating a vacuum toob powered TC operating
on smoothly filtered DC plate supply.  Several modulation schemes can
be used.  Tips on how to do this can be found in any Amateur Radio
handbook under AM modulation methods for tube type transmitting
equipment.  This is a particularly stunning effect for any
uninitiated visitor to the lab.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel or AutoFax: 1-519-925-1771
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~