[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Quench, Coherence etc.

----------
From:  Robert W. Stephens [SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, August 14, 1998 3:00 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Quench, Coherence etc.

John Couture wrote:

>All,
<snippage>
>   In order to obtain useful results from tests of electrical devices it is
> necessary to operate the device with controlled conditions such as with a
> constant output.

Agreed in general...but only on devices that can operate properly
under steady state conditions, like a resistor, or a light bulb, or
an unloaded electric motor.

> This means that with Tesla coils the output spark must be
> a controlled spark giving a constant load to the Tesla coil.

John, the nature of the output of a properly operating Tesla coil IS
CHAOS.  If you attempt to tame it into a constant load which air
being perforated with lightning bolts is not, then you are NOT going
to determine the best parameters for a coil.  Those in the hobby that
I know are building coils for the longest lightning bolts, mostly
into air with attachments at random to objects in the vicinity of the
coil.  That Sir is the very application of a Tesla coil, not the
stabilized heating of a reference load in some laboratory!  If you
think of a Tesla coil as a 2 port black box with a constant input and
a chaotic output, then if you somehow clamp the output to be stable,
you're input will turn to chaos.  How is that going to help your
power measurement?  Please don't bother answering.

John Couture also said:

> Single break tests are of less value.
>
>   John Couture

John,

I have to strongly dispute your statement here!  Not only are single
shot tests of tremendous value in that the amount of input power to
the TC by way of them can be precicely determined, they yield an
output spark length which is repeatable under identical conditions
anywhere in the known universe.  As such it is a very credible way of
comparing all disruptive Tesla coils that are able to produce sparks.
Of course I've said this to you before.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel or AutoFax: 1-519-925-1771
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~