[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

input frequency (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 17:13:16 +0100
From: "chris.swinson" <chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk>
To: tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: input frequency

thanks all for you help.

I'm not sure on it as a whole, but I know for a fact that I could get sparks
off a *20 transofmer.  The primary was 12V and the output was 230V.  With
simple pulsed DC ( nothing fancy ) I could hear the transformer "thump" due
to the high current surge.  If I put to much current in, the output would
drop. but still over sriving it, I could get about over 2Kv of the 230V tap.

Altering the input frequency, ment I had to increase the currnet to keep the
same oputput, but it did get better voltage on the 230v tap.

Somthing tat comes to mind is a multi-plex lamp system, where on arcade and
fruit machines they use lots of 12 volt bulbs.  But in order for them to
light up fast, they run them at 50V.  They then simply switch them at a
multi-plexed frequency to stop them from burning out.  But in actual fact,
they don't have time to draw anymore currnet as they are turned off nearly
straignt away.  so they light up quicker.

I am sure thats the same type of thing for my step up transformer.  The
input power could well be the same to the inductance side of things, but in
actaul fact its running at a higher input power.  All this seams to give
 well it does ) me about 2 Kv.  I say 2 Kv but it could well be a higher as
5Kv.  It fried my meter and that was rated at 1Kv.

I myself put it down to the initail "swith on thump-at- where it creates a
higher surge when it swithed on.  When its running the power transfoer
between primary and secondary is how it ahould be.  I guess that insted of 1
switch on thump, it would carry that on each time at a cirtian frequency.
The huge surge with the extra currnet I guess will give a huge magnetic
field which induces more power into the secondary.

It may well not do the transfomer any good, but I think it would be best if
I tried it out again, to make further tests on it.  hopefully I can give you
all the readings for the tests do you can see for yourself what I am doing.

thanks for your help in my last mails :-))

chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk

All the beST,
Chris.

chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk