[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UK coilers ? + stuff (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 10:59:31 GMT
From: Mike Harrison <wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: UK coilers ? + stuff (fwd)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:14:35 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

> [...]

Yes - we recently held the first UK teslathon - pictures at
www-dot-netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/electric.html

>I also don't 100% understand when people say build coils with a 3:1 ratio,
>can anyone enlighten me ?  The ratio for my coil as I see it is 1:260 so
>where do you all get 3:1 from ?
Ratio of secondary height (winding length) to diameter
>Accroding to my secondary inductance calculations my coil is about 39 mH,
>But actaul measurement shows 7.4mH. Does anyone know is this reduction in
>inducatance is good ?
You want as much inductance as possible, so the frequency is lower and
losses are lower
> As far as I see it , it is but as far as I can see
>it may increase capacitance which is bad.  Oh, I varnished my coil so
>thats why it's different.  I was thinking of doing 2 coils the same, but
>laqureing one to compair results, But can anyone tell me whats what before
>I send the time doing more coils ?
Don't try an un-laquered coil, the wire insulation will break down &
wreck it. (Unless using heavily insulated wire, which you don't want
to do as it will reduce the no.of turns & hence inductance))
>Whats the output current of a coil ?  I know the capacitor may well give a
>very small peek of up to 1000's of amps, But the current rating of the
>wire in my secondary is about 140 ma, Does this mean I can only draw 140ma
>or is there something else to it all.
It's not that simple. Don't worry about the current capacity of the
secondary, you'll break it down before you melt the wire due to excess
current. The consensus seems to be that 24SWG enamelled wire (magnet
wire) is the best for most coils.

>Has anyone got any thoughts on using a valve as a spark gap, I used a
>small ECC88 ( I think) there was 2 plate inside which were close enough
>for the spark to jump, note that I only used the valuve not heaters or
>anything else at all.  My coil ran very well indeed.  It was a lot
>smoother and the performance was a lot better.  But it got a tad hot ans
>exploded so I decided that I ought to find out more about it if I can.
>Anyone help ?
Beware of X-rays when doing this!

   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/