[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Potato Chips (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 05:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Potato Chips

The laminations on one of my unpotted neons is out of square.  The thing is
twisted looking and I don't like the way it looks so I took it all apart.
The laminations were stuck together with something like varnish or
polyurethane.  I decided to sand blast the laminations to remove the
varnish.  When the sand hit one side of the lamination it instantly curled
up like a potato chip. The varnish came right off.  I turned the lamination
over and sand blasted the other side and the metal instantly curled up in
the other direction.  I tried to straighten it out by sand blasting back and
forth a little on each side but it won't straight up. I tired hammering it,
but its still not flat.  I tried 3 more laminations and they did the same
thing.  There must be some type of stresses in the metal that cause this to
happen.  WARNING, don't sand blast transformer laminations. Acetone takes
the glue stuff off of the lamination with no trouble at all.  Just let the
lamination soak about 15 minutes.  You don't even have to wipe them clean
with a rag.

Gary Weaver