[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Potential Transformer

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 12:03 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Potential Transformer

"You can't -- that's why government laboratories are leaning more towards
simulating physics on computers these days."
	Yeah, I know.  Also, it is believed to be a lot cheaper,
at least until you put something together which doesn't work!!!!
Computer simulation and "virtual prototyping" are big buzz words
now.  As the old saying goes "GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT".  Simulations
are very useful  IF you understand them and their limitations, but
are no substitute for building and testing things.  "virtual prototyping"
is only as good as the guys who write the programs and prepare the
models and, in my limited experience, those guys are usuall programmers
who "don't know anything about anything".  There must be exceptions,
but I have yet to encounter any.
Ed