[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Potential Transformer

From: 	Rick Holland[SMTP:rickh-at-ghg-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 3:21 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Potential Transformer

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

This xmfr is perfect for coiling, but there are several safety steps to
be taken. I assume you know that it must be run in "reverse" mode, but
you may not be aware that current limiting is a *must* with this type of
trannie. This beastie will eat up all the current you have available and
demand more. It will run on 120v supply and might tolerate 220V if
current shunted. The name plate says that it will tolerate 95KV for a
moment, but heed the warning; that is the breakdown voltage of the
winding's insulation if maintained for more than an instant. Also, this
thing has the power to kill in an instant; read the safety section at
http:/www.pupman-dot-com .I wish I had access to a trannie like that; the
things I could do... But the first consideration is safety; make sure
you know what you're messing with! I work with NASA at Johnson Space
Center and they have created a new policy demanding that anyone working
with voltages greater than 50V must wear full protective gear with a
spotter in place in case of an accident. While I think this is a bit
excessive, the idea is sound. You should never work with high voltage
without an assistant who knows how to safely pull you away.
--

    Rick Holland

    The Answer is 42