[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Testing

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 12:36 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: New Testing

<< To: Ed

 I presume you are not using the coax with the shield grounded.  NEVER EVER
 use a coax cable to feed a TC from a pole xmfr.  The xmfr will take the
 extra 50 kv this blum line effect can generate but the caps will quickly
 fail.  We learned this lesson the hard way.  I presume you are using the
 coax with the shield shorted to the center and only as a conductor not a
 transmission line.  This is OK, but beware using coax as a transmission
 line.  Better to use what I call "big red" which is essentially 15 kv
 "jumper cable" with a BIL of 100 kv.  We stock it if you need it.

 DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Dr. Resonance,

The coax shield is connected to the RF ground at the coil end.  The other end
is connected to the center terminal of the safety gap back on the filter
board where the HV connections are made.  Its only purpose is to connect the
safety gap to the main RF ground.  The pole pig case is connected to a
separate ground rod system maybe 50 feet from the main RF ground.  Is this
liable to cause problems?

Should I use a separate wire to connect the safety gap to the RF ground?  I
would not like to tie the coax shield to the center conductor as that would
only leave the thin black insulation as the HV protection.  The RG213 lays on
cement.  Is it ok to leave the shield floating?  Or should I remove it
entirely and just rely on the center poly insulation?

Ed Sonderman