[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass/poly and more...

From: 	David Sharpe[SMTP:sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com]
Reply To: 	sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 9:15 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Glass/poly and more...

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Malcolm, ALL

I have four(4) 60mil PE capacitors under in oil in service on a 1kVA
magnifier (11kV non shunted 450VA xfmr, with resistive ballast).  I have
had no failures or problems with the basic flat plate design.  The caps
are under Exxon Voltrx N61 inhibited transformer oil.

The only difficulty I have run into is not allowing sufficient margin
around electrodes and the capacitor failing by arcing around the
dielectric material under oil.  This occurred on a 500pf unit, used
as a HV EMI filter bypass cap in my 5kVA magnifier in the "early days".

If the cap arcs, the oil will discolor.  I have also used mineral oil
(USP, as well as clear baby oil), with no problems.

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR