[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Synchronous rotary gaps. - motors

From: 	William Noble[SMTP:William_B_Noble-at-classic.msn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 12:44 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	RE: Synchronous rotary gaps. - motors

I had in mind the drive motors from the old removable pack hard disks - I find
these things (like the old pertek units) at swap meets - I scrapped one a few
years ago (the value of scrap aluminum was greater than I paid for it) - this
unit spins a pair of 14 inch platters at  so it ought to handle a gap, I think
- maybe I'll try it out if I ever get home long enough.

How can you tell FOR SURE that a motor is synchronous, versus a shaded pole
motor???? is there some physical attribute that is evident, or something on
the lable???

Another idea - I have a pile (3 or 4) of 60 HZ synchros - I know that they run
synchronously if you get them spinning.  of course these have brushes in them
to drive the armature.  Also, it owuld seem that a stepper motor could be a
good thing - it would be easy to step it in synch with 60HZ.