[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1/4 Wave, etc.

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 13, 1997 4:58 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: FW: 1/4 Wave, etc.

Dan Kline wrote:

> >[GL wrote]
> >It does not seem that the sec wire length makes an appreciable
> >difference in the performance of a standard TC.
> >
> >I have noticed in PSPICE that typical TC secondaries with even moderate
> >top loads do not exhibit any significant standing wave behavior, but
> >operate more as simple LC resonant circuits.  The voltage profile for
> >a normal TC along the sec is roughly linear, and only when the secondary
> >becomes coarsely space-wound with no top load does the voltage profile
> >start to bend into a quarter-sine.
> >
> >This explains why Richard Hull and others have discovered that more
> >top load is better, with no discernable correlation between the
> >operating frequency and the electrical length of the resonating coil.
>

> I know that above is true, but I think I remember someone posting once that
> the ideal topload, for beginning experimentation at least, I guess, was
> that topload which would lower the secondary's un-top-loaded resonant
> frequency to 0.707 of what it is when unloaded.
>
> For example: If the unloaded resonant frequency was 200kHz, then the ideal
> top-load would lower the frequency to 141.4kHz, other parameters being
> appropriate, of course.

The value of 0.707 seems like it's in the ballpark, as that would result in
half the Csec residing in the toroid capacitance.  Such a loaded coil would
definitely operate in the realm of the lumped LC resonant circuit, rather than
the standing quarter-wave antenna models of lore.

I don't think that the 0.707 number really needs to be held to three digits
of accuracy, however -- IMO, probably any value from 0.6 to 0.8 would give
satisfactory performance.  Richard Hull and the TCBOR have a lot of good
experience with a wide range of values, in many different configurations.

-GL