[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A (neon) Scrounging story.

From: 	Phil Chalk[SMTP:philoc-at-ozemail-dot-com.au]
Sent: 	Sunday, October 26, 1997 10:45 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	A (neon) Scrounging story.

Hi all,

I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

Spied two neon signs in driveway of a shop in my street
which had just changed hands.  Signs were in name of
_new_ owners, but appeared trashed so I rang & asked if
I could have them.  After 2 wks (owner O/S) they said
OK, _but_  I had to remove them entirely (naturally) &
they wanted the two perspex sheets from the front with
their logo on them.  Bummer!  That was one of the good
bits - 2 x ~1.5m sq x 8mm acrylic sheet.

Also about a dozen 4 ft fluoros, end-fittings,
starters, ballasts etc & 2 x 25uF -at- 250Vac PFC caps.
Plus heaps of alloy extrusion, thin steel plate, sundry
hardware etc & an urgent need for another trip to the
tip.

Another Bonus (which I've wanted for a while) was 3
intact sections of neon tube - two straight lines, ~1m
each (red), and a big 'Z' shape in white.  Yay! ('Z'
from 'OZ Design')

What I really wanted, of course, was the transformers &
they were a little disappointing here.  One x 7.5kv
30ma, works fine; and one x solid-state(with little
output tranny) 9kv 30ma, appears dead - but we'll see

In any case, all the above  was free, for a little time
& effort. ( And rather than tip it, I'll get a few
bucks for the scrap)

The moral to the story is - KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED.
People chuck lots of this stuff out.  I think if you
live in a big City (USA, Australia, etc where these
things are common. Maybe not UK, Scandanavia etc) &
you're patient, there should be no need to pay for old
neon trannys.  I have before, but don't expect to
again.

Now POLE PIGS - in Australia - Thats's a whole 'nother
story.......

Thanx for listening,

Phil Chalk.