[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

An Interesting Problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:43:45 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: An Interesting Problem

Hello All,
            I've some up against an interesting conundrum that I
expect others have struck at odd times (no, I haven't scoped it).
I recently fitted more top C to my largest coil, added a turn to the
primary and removed about 20% of the primary capacitance to tune it
back up. With the radius of curvature at the top it is now having
trouble breaking out at the energy level the primary is running at
(around 2.7J). When it does, it throws a few hot ones, stops dead and
either continues to burp in this fashion or needs to be switched off
and on again at the wall to get the gap to fire again. The primary
voltage is rather low, *but*, it does run reliably and steadily if I
add a bump or small point to the terminal in which case it now throws
a steady streamer (which waxes and wanes in length as usual).
    The question: if the gap can clearly fire at this setting, what
is stopping it in its tracks when the thing does break out on
occasions? Any answers?

Malcolm