[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why a toroid?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 20:16:52 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Why a toroid?

On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 19:04:16 +0000 Greg Leyh
<lod-at-pacbell-dot-net> wrote;

> A lot of effort has been directed at fabricating toroids for TC's.
> Has anyone ever tried using a large metal disk as the top electrode?
> A suitably sized disk would have just as much C to gnd as the toroid.
>
> I know that I should just try it myself, but I thought I'd ask first.

With a large metal disk you would have an extreemly high coronal
leakage around the pereferial edge! the purpose of using a toroid is
not just to atain higher terminal capacitance but the toroid shape
alters the shape of the electrical field around the coil such that
the field is more uniform and thus ellinating stress point that would
cause premature breakout. In the past spherical terminals were in
prevelant use but it was found that the toroid yielded a better more
uniform field.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/