[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why a toroid?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:25:18 -0400
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Why a toroid?

>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 19:04:16 +0000
>From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Why a toroid?
>
>A lot of effort has been directed at fabricating toroids for TC's.
>Has anyone ever tried using a large metal disk as the top electrode?
>A suitably sized disk would have just as much C to gnd as the toroid.
>
>I know that I should just try it myself, but I thought I'd ask first.
>

>-GL

Hi Greg,

There are also electric field stresses to be considered which affect
breakout voltage.  Too small a radius of curvature at the edges and
despite the capacitance, you'll still get lots of corona and numerous
smaller streamers.  On my own small system I use a metal disk as a
toroid support.  If it is not properly immersed in the field of the
toroid, performance is degraded as breakout occurs from the rounded
disk edges.   In this situation a system without the disk and with a
smaller toroid (less capacitance, higher holdoff voltage) will give me
much better performance.  I think electrode geometry is critical
for maximum spark.  Still, with a system like your's, a huge disk
spraying corona and sparks everywhere would be something to see!

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush