[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spun toroid sources

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 16:06:08 -0500
From: Geoff Schecht <geoffs-at-onr-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Spun toroid sources

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Spun toroid sources
> Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 6:54 PM

Anyone with a wood or metal lathe and a torch can try their hand at metal
spinning. I made a bowl once and I've seen others do things a lot more
exotic. Depending on the material being spun, incremental annealing of the
work may be required and that's why you need to have a blowtorch available.
You're basically limited in the size of what you can spin by the throw of
your lathe and the strength of your form. Unless you have an artillery
barrel lathe at home, it'll be hard to make something like a 1 meter dia
hemisphere!

Has anyone had a muffler shop bend them up the outside ring of a torus? I
was thinking that they could probably do a good job on smaller toroids.

Geoff