[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Medhurst problem

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 1:39 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re:  Medhurst problem

"Tesla List readers,

 I was thinking about the Medhurst formula and I problem came to mind.
All the formulas I have seen deal with only the width and length of a
coil. What if a coil was space wound or used insulated wire for its
secondary windings? This should have a lower capacitance, but the
formula would give the same value."

	The formula is right.  The self-capacitance depends on the
geometry, but  not on the capacitance between turns.  The latter
is shunted with the inductance of a single turn and is effectively
shorted out at the frequencies at which we work.
Ed