[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westcode Devices

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Friday, November 14, 1997 8:39 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Westcode Devices

Hello All,
           Here are the specs for the Westcode devices I mentioned a
day or two back. See for yourself. A good friend in England managed
to get them for me.

Regards,
Malcolm

Those SCRs and diodes are excellent. I will send you the datasheets that
Westcode FAXed to me today but for the time being, here are a few of the
specs ( the most relevant ones ). The cost of them wasn't something I
enquired about, but looking in the RS catalogue shows us a device with
around a third of the rating at a cost of a hundred quid or thereabouts.
If you can make sure the dI/dt and dV/dt ratings are not exceeded, you
may have some near-ideal commutation in the near future.

The thyristor:

these specs are for the N880C series: the H25 means it is Vrrm and Vdrm=
2500V, Vrsm = 2600V.

average on-state current = 2500A for a half-sinewave, 55 deg C heatsink
average on-state current = 1060A for a half-sinewave, 85 deg C heatsink
rms onstate current = 5015A with 25 deg C heatsink, cooled on both sides
cont. onstate current=4300A with 25 deg C heatsink current etc.
peak on-cycle I = 32000A (10ms, 60% Vrrm re-applied ie ringing)
non-repetitive I = 39000A for the same conditions

max. surge energy is I squared t and = 7.61 million A^2 s for a 10ms
pulse, dropping to 4.9 million for a 3ms pulse

gate current max. is 20A with A +ve wrt C
gate V max is 23V for the same conditions

peak gate reverse V is 5V
ave. G power is 5W

dV/dt is 200V/us for off-state rise, to80% of rep. peak voltage
repetitive dI/dt is 180A/us for a G signal of 20V rising in <1us
non-rep dI/dt is 300A/us for the same gate criterion

the device can work upto 125 deg C package temperature
max reqd G current will be 300mA at upto 3V

the other number, U9717, refers to the lead style

the diode:

for a CXC13C series component,

ave. forward I = 3100A -at- heatsink =55 deg C
    "   "   "    1350A  "  "  "    100  " "

rms I = 5600A -at- heatsink of 25 deg C, both sides cooled
DC  I = 4900A "     "     "   "   "   "   "   "     "

non-rep. 10ms surge I = 30000A

max. surge energy is 4.5 million A^2 s for 10ms pulse
 "     "      "    " 4.0    "     "      "  3ms  "

operates upto 160 deg C package temperature

the 28 in the type number means 2800V PIV repetitive (Vrrm), 2900V
repetitive.