[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bought caps

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Friday, November 14, 1997 7:28 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: bought caps

Hi Ed,

The DC supply I fed the coil with is metered. By dropping power so
that I got 1 bang/sec, I was able to set it to exactly that voltage.
That gap BTW was across the main gap which was adjustable while the
coil was running. This was just a dinky model - not a med/high power
job.

>  I have a spark gap across my C.P. cap made of #10 solid
> copper wire with loops bent on each end that are 1.0" diameter, no sharp
> edges.  The cap from Condenser Products is rated for 20 kv AC, Tesla coil
> use.  I currently have the gap set at 5/8" and have not destroyed the cap.
>  How wide do you think I can safely open up this gap?  Of course, the wider
> this gap is, the better the coil performs.

That's the problem of course - until it goes bang. I wouldn't like to
advise on a wider setting. It ain't my cap.

> I adjust primary power and rotary
> gap speed so that the safety gap just quits firing.  I have quite a bit of
> room to input more power - but sure don't want to kill another cap.  I think
> overvoltage is probably what killed the first two.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Might it not also have been break rate? They specified 120PPS max on
mine. I have used them at twice that but well within the voltage
rating.

Cheers,
Malcolm