[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Coil Wattage?

From: 	Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil[SMTP:Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 5:11 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Tube Coil Wattage?

Hi Jeff, All,
     Problem statement:  Wattmeter?

     1.  Take a power resistor and tape a meat thermometer
           to it with teflon thread seal tape (hi temp).  Calibrate
           it by making a chart of watts through VS degrees
           (rare = 500 watts, medium = 800 watts, etc).  This
           will act as a power integrator so you need to run
          power through it until the temperature of the resistor
          equilibriates.

     2.  Take an electromagnet and hang it in a fixture
           above a hunk of iron attached to a spring scale
           calibrated in ounces for small coils or pounds
           for big coils.  This will convert average Amperes
           to pounds (or ounces).  Now measure the voltage
           across the coil with a full wave bridge rectifier
           connected to a hi Z voltmeter with a slow response.
           To get average power multiply volts by pounds ( or
           ounces).

     3.  Tape a thermometer to an extension cord and
          measure the temperature while plugged into
          different appliances.  Make a chart of temperature
          VS nameplate wattage of the appliance.

     4.  Since the output of the coil is so small you will
          need to use a smaller resistor for metering its
          output.  Something like a few 2 watters strung
          together in a tube filled with mineral oil to keep
          it from being arced over.

     5.  Put an electric spinner on the toroid.  Hang the toroid
          from the ceiling by weed wacker line.  Remove the
          secondary.  Take a Van De Graaf or Whimshurst
          or Dirod and charge up the toroid through a
          microampere meter with a diode bridge while
          neasuring the RPM's of the spinner with a strobe light.
          Periodically take a reading of RPM, microamperes,
          and voltage (with a sphere gap) for a table.
          Multiply the volts by the microamperes to get average
          power VS spinner rotation speed.  Put the secondary
          back and run the coil.  Measure the RPM's of the
          spinner with the strobe light and compare with the
          chart to get average watts output.

     6......

                    Barry