[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Confusion

From: 	Andrew Chin[SMTP:chinny-at-ozemail-dot-com.au]
Sent: 	Friday, November 14, 1997 11:56 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Cap Confusion

Hey all.

I am trying to build a Tesla coil, and while my mechanical and
electrical knowledge is fairly sound, I have no idea how to size all the
capacitors used in a Tesla coil driver.

There are at least 3 capacitors I would like explained:
    -Power Factor Correction capacitors (I think these go on the mains
side of the transformer)
    -Bypass Capacitor (This goes across the High Voltage supply)
    -Tank Capacitor (Forms part of the tuning circuit)

There is also the Tesla coil itself which has its internal capacitance
or something, and the toroid which has capacitance.

What I wish to know is what are the significance of these capcitances,
how do I calculate them, and how to size them for my coil.  The tank
capacitor obviously forms part of the tuning circuit, but would this
have to be changed if the spark gap was changed from a static to rotary?

Any help regarding this is appreciated.

Andrew Chin    chinny-at-ozemail-dot-com.au