[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Ballast"

From:	Thornton, Russ #CSR2000 [SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:20 AM
To:	'Tesla List'
Subject:	RE: "Ballast"

>From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
>Subject: 	Re: "Ballast"
>
>Russ,
>
>Transformers that are not current limited need some external current
>limiting.  Without it, when the spark gap fires the primary will want to draw
>very large amounts of current.  Inductive ballast is preferred as it results
>in less voltage drop in the primary circuit so you get higher voltages out of
>the secondary.  Most folks that don't want to make their own use arc welders
>for this ballast.  Resistive ballast can either be used alone or with an
>inductive ballast.  I use 2000 watt oven elements, several in parallel and
>either in series with or in parallel with the inductive ballast.  I bought my
>oven elements at salvage stores (like the Goodwill or St. Vincents dePaul)
>and paid maybe $2.00 each for them.  I have about 8 of them in a switched
>array so I can vary the total resistance from about 23 ohms down to about .35
>ohms.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Are ballasts usually required on higher powered coils that use pole pigs
or do you need them
for neon driven coils, too?  I am primarily interested in neon driven
coils so if a ballast is needed(and I did not have any with my first
coil of many years ago) how do you determine the rating?  If you go
inductive do you build them yourself?

Thanks