[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- bottle capacitors

From:	Robert Michaels [SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 9:19 AM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	RE- bottle capacitors

        Congratulations.

        I believe you have just discovered why  =Beer=  bottles
        are the ones to be used for bottle capacitors.  (Or if
        you are conservative (or are taking medication), soda-pop
        bottles may be substituted).

        Beer is carbonated.  Thus the pressure inside the bottle
        is above atmosphere.  Thus the glass is thicker, stronger,
        and made to be free-er of internal strains.

        So -- I assume you got the idea to substitute wine bottles
        after drinking the case of same...hmmm???

                            - - - - - - - -

        Now, Champaign bottles!

        That's another story.  They're even better than beer bottles.
        I guess if the contents cost $10 - $500  (rather than
        $0.75 - $3) it's possible to put a few extra cents into the
        quality of the bottle.

        The good news is --- New Year's Eve is coming!

        A search in the (ahem!) "right" places on New Year's day
        or on the next several days following should yield the
        proper wherewithal for any number of bottle capacitors.

                                                Cheers!

                                                Robert Michaels
                                                Detroit, USA

TL>From:  ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
TL>Subject:  bottle capacitors

TL>I've been experimenting with capacitors made from 750ml wine

[ ... ]

.that individual  bottles could not withstand
15kv.  Two of four TL>bottle caps I tested failed instantly with a loud
"snap" as the TL>voltage punched right through the glass.  I have plenty
of bottles,

[ ... ]

TL>of 1770pf to 2015pf.  The puncture voltage is also much lower than I
TL>expected.  I wouldn't have believed that 15kv could break them down

[ ... ]

TL>glass is a bit wavy).

[ ... ]