[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Ballast"

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 10:50 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: "Ballast"

<< Subject: 	"Ballast"

 I see the word "ballast" bandied about allot.  Are we talking about and
 inductive ballast or a ballast resistor?
 I have not found a catalog with ballast resistors in them unless listed
 by a different name.  Could someone explain with a little more detail.

 Thanks,
 Russ Thornton >>

Russ,

Transformers that are not current limited need some external current
limiting.  Without it, when the spark gap fires the primary will want to draw
very large amounts of current.  Inductive ballast is preferred as it results
in less voltage drop in the primary circuit so you get higher voltages out of
the secondary.  Most folks that don't want to make their own use arc welders
for this ballast.  Resistive ballast can either be used alone or with an
inductive ballast.  I use 2000 watt oven elements, several in parallel and
either in series with or in parallel with the inductive ballast.  I bought my
oven elements at salvage stores (like the Goodwill or St. Vincents dePaul)
and paid maybe $2.00 each for them.  I have about 8 of them in a switched
array so I can vary the total resistance from about 23 ohms down to about .35
ohms.

Ed Sonderman