[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting magnifier

From: 	DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 11:23 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Superconducting magnifier

 From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
 Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 4:30 PM
 To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 Subject: 	Superconducting magnifier

 Hi,

 I am new to this list, and would like to know is there any coiler lives
 around Montreal?
 Also, what about building a superconducting magnifier? I have this thought
 for very long time, but if someone proposed it already, please don't flame
 me tough, instead tell me who that it or where I can find more information
 (check Geogre Trinkaus's Tesla The Lost Invention on p.10) about it.

  With today's superconductor, the price is dropping and the critical
 temperature is rising to dry ice range(and over). Using film deposit
 technology, no more labour intensive winding will be nesecsary, also higher
 field density can be achieved. So what do you think about it?

 The primary and secondary can be insulated in liquid nitrogen, the
 evaporated nitrogen can be used to quench spark gaps and lowers its
 temperature. Liquid nitrogen costs pratically nothing, and will last for
 days in a thermos. (I believe) Almost infinite amount of current can float
 in the secondany with zero impedance as long as it is tuned. Mind you,
 superconductor does have its limits: Critical current per unit area and
 critical magnetic field (as I remember). Forunately, they are still much
 higher than conventional conductor. Just take five minutes to think about
 the possiblity! True PRACTICAL superconductor was not available to Tesla,
 but we now have the technology, so grasp the opportunity! Maybe YOU will be
 the one that brings tesla coiling in to a new era!

 One more thing: According to Tesla, rarefied gas shows excellent
 conductivity for high frequency electrical current, maybe even better than
 copper! Noble gases are even better. Why not evacuated the air in the
 primary then fill the tube with helium (and seal it afterward, of coarse). A
 (big) tank of compressed helium cost as little as $21 CAD or $15 USD, so why
 not give it a try and share the results with us.

 Ted

 Hi Ted ,

   I too have tinkered mentally in this area -- the main problem
i came up with had to do with the question of --- what would the
bandwidth of the system be as the Xl/r approaches 0 ???
   aside from the other problems that others on the list have
pointed out  --------Since i dont have a hydrogen maser to control
the frequency i kinda shelved the idea :>) ---

    Re: helium  --- i'm not sure but i thiMk helium is rather stubborn
when it comes to learning about ionization & conducting current--
dumb He   :>)  ----on the mention of rarefied gasses ---
air is an insulator --- it requires many KV to arc an inch (2.54 cm)
(see my earlier post on spark gap voltages )  if one lowers (rareifies)
the atmospheric pressure --- a kilovolt can arc *feet* ---- using
helium with air renders the medium less dense & allows hf displays
to take place --- ie. plasma globes ----
    i have considered the possibilities of using a plasma tube as
source of EM flux for high energy pulse generation i dunno about
the problems there ---- perhaps someone "out there " has an input ??

    Keep thinkin' & werkin ------------ it's fun even ifin it don' werk :>)

haveatit
               Sandy