[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 6:51 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

Greg, all, another thought....

<snip>
> My biggest concern on your SCR's would be the di/dt rating.
> Is the rating higher than 2*pi*Fpri*Ipeak?  Ironically, solid-state
> switches seem to be better suited to larger, lower frequency coils,
> due to the di/dt limit.
>

> -GL

Actually, just thinking back to the MOSFET gap, the biggest headache
was that on opening the gap up, the energy no longer had Cp shunting
it and was now free to impress itself on circuit strays which have
far lower values and hence could could rise to far higher voltages
than the initial cap voltage. This is the kickback phenomenon that
fires safety gaps across neons. I seem to remember the gap having
> 60V spikes impressed across it with a quite tiny amount of energy
despite the 6V supply voltage. I'd better check that out as well.
>From memory, the worst time to quench was at zero voltage crossing.

Malcolm