[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 04, 1997 4:51 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

Richard Hull wrote:

> I hope everyone realizes by now that the above was a total tongue-in-cheek
> response to Greg's equally ludicrous suggestion.
>
> I have long studied the issue and realize there exists nothing on the
> surface of the planet even at 50 times the 100 dollar price tag that can
> begin to handle what my trusty old series quench rotary will do and survive
> with virtually zero maintainence or fear of destruction!

No, really, I'm serious!  Symmetrical Modified GTO's have come of age,
and are
used in pulsed power applications, such as the abort kickers on CERN's
new LHC.

V off = 4500V per stacked device
Ipeak = 80kA
Irise = 12kA/uS
I^2*t = 1,600,000.

At 3000A the GTO's forward on-voltage is only 4 volts per stacked
device,
compared to 1400V for my 4-point rotary gap!  A standard coil outfitted
with a GTO stack and a resonant charger would be far more efficient than
magnifier with a conventional rotary.

-GL