[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 5:43 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

>>>Why not move on to solid-state, and avoid the moving parts as well?
>>>

>>>-GL
>>>

>>Wow!  That is great!  Just what we have been waiting for!  What catalog can
>>I order a solid state switch that can commutate 20 -50 megawatt pulses with
>>peak currents near 1000amps at 20,000 volts about 500 times per second?  Oh
>>yeah, its gotta cost me no more than my current gap system.
>>(~$100.00)......Also it would be nice if I could repair it if something goes
>>highorder in it.  I eagerly await the reply....I too, am tired of farting
>>around with all this mechanical junk!!!!
>>
>>Richard Hull, TCBOR

I hope everyone realizes by now that the above was a total tongue-in-cheek
response to Greg's equally ludicrous suggestion.

I have long studied the issue and realize there exists nothing on the
surface of the planet even at 50 times the 100 dollar price tag that can
begin to handle what my trusty old series quench rotary will do and survive
with virtually zero maintainence or fear of destruction!

I play with H2 Thyratrons because they are cheap at hamfests and do work for
limited maggey only work.  The new, in box, 5C22 that I bought at the
hamfest two months ago for $5.00 is available to any one who wants one and
is too lazy to look at hamfests from Newark Electronics.  I checked... they
have 11 in stock now!  They are only $978.45 (plus shipping).  This is only
a uni-directional tube. A pair might make a nice 2KW Magnifier if you know a
lot about pulse circuitry and design some nice electronic trigger control
circuitry.

Forget, forever, electronic vacuum tubes of any size!  You just can't get
that many electrons boilin' off a filament to use the tube as a true swich!!

The series strings of SCR's,  The future of IGBT's/FET's, The $8000 real
bidirectional EG&G Hydrogen thyratrons are just high tech, short lived toys
compared to whirling tungsten at atmospheric pressure.  All current supposed
contenders are just not up to even an "also ran" status, or honorable mention.

Richard Hull, TCBOR