[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Suggestion for current limiting

Subject:  Re: Suggestion for current limiting
  Date:   Tue, 27 May 1997 13:58:13 -0600
  From:   "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Rodney Davis

Good idea Bill but it doesn't work in practice as well as in theory.
Large
water resistors have been used for years to limit charging current in
large
Marx generators.  A small amount of blue copper sulfate crystals are
usually added to make the liquid slightly conductive but still have a
value
of 100K or so for charging.

The problem actually isn't the liquid --- it's the electrodes.  It seems
after a few weeks the ions begin drifting off the metal electrodes and
make
the water highly conductive.  This system works only if very pure
materials
such as platinum are used for the electrodes otherwise the value keeps
changing and usually only requires a few weeks to become too conductive
provide effective current limiting and as William pointed out there is a
great danger of steam forming.

A good quality high silicone C core reactor with a cross sectional area
of
9-11 in. squared seems to work the best without a lot of mess.  120-160
turns tapped every 10 turns on this reactor works well.  Use a quality
10
KW  1/2 Ohm series resistor to prevent rapid saturation with this
reactor.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net