[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dead Capacitor

Subject:  Re: Dead Capacitor
  Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 14:00:55 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

-snip-
<<
         I used two sheets of .030 HD Poly per side and rolled it up a
la
 RQ's
 instructions. I rather think this is not enough dielectric, as I am
 using two
 15 KV neons. Richard suggests as much.
         In reading spec sheets from plastic manufacturers, and from
 Sargeant and
 Dollinger's book it appears decreasing the dielectric thickness by 4
 doubles
 the dielectric strength per mil. I shall try using 3 layers of .020
HDPE
 , >>
LR,

I built two rolled poly caps made with one layer of .062 poly - and blew
both
of them.  I am conviced that .062 poly is only good for 9 kv max in a
Tesla
coil tank circuit.  I would think three layers of .030 poly should be
good up
close to 15 kv.  I like the idea or rolling them with a thin layer of
paper
in between all the layers to help wick the oil in, but have not tried
it.

Ed Sonderman