[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

vitamin Q capacitors

Subject:   vitamin Q capacitors
  Date:    Sat, 3 May 97 05:10:54 UT
  From:    "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-MSN.COM>
    To:    "Tesla List" <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

I bought 7 vitamin Q (sprague) 0.01 uf 7.5 KV oil capcitors figuring
that they
might make ok tank capacitors when wired in series/parallel.  I was
wrong -
they do nothing except keep the coil from working at all.  They have are
oil
filled by the looks of them, and have one terminal marked "+" and the
other
"-" - the "-" terminal is the case, the positive is on top of a 1 inch
ceramic
post.

Anyway, these are not good for a spark gap tesla.  However, they would
seem to
be good for a B+ filter on a tube type tesla coil - so if any of you
guys
making tube coils would like them, I'd be happy to pass them on - I paid
a bit
over $20 for the 7 capacitors and of course I'd like to get something
back out
of them - if you can use them drop me an E mail note directly (let's not
clutter up the list) and see what we can work out.  I'd be happy to ship
them
to you - better that they get used than they sit around here and annoy
me

At least this proves that the advice from the list (to eschew commercial
oil
filled capacitors of this type) was correct - although they did not heat
up as
I was warned.