[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size

Subject:  grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size
  Date:  Fri, 2 May 97 06:35:58 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

I read about the importance of a high current ground, and the use of
heavy
wire to connect to it.  Yet the secondary wire isn't all that big.  I'm
using
24 gague on a 4 inch secondary - if I remember right the largest wire
size on
a secondary I've read about on the list is 18 gague???   What I don't
understand is why the wire from the secondary to the ground rod (or
whatever)
needs to be more than one wire size (or 2) larger than the wire that the
secondary is wound with.  IT would seem to me that current is limited by
melting the secondary wire.  Can someone explain.